Birdathon for 2023 will be held April 15 through May 31. For those who have participated in the past, you know that it is perhaps the most fun way to raise money for the Club. It is our hope that, with a few more teams and a non-Covid outlook, we can bring in over $1,000 for the Club, as we have done pre-Covid.
Little has changed for this year.
1) Form or join a team of fellow birders
2) Solicit pledges
3) Compete for the various prizes while birdwatching
Summary of Rules:
1. At least two people per team so all sightings are confirmed by at least 2 team
2. Team members stay within sight of each other while birding.
3. Up to six hours per team.
4. Locations in Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon and Barry counties qualify.
5. Keep a list of your sightings and locations.
6. There is no pre-registration required.
7. You can be on as many teams as you like.
8. In 2023 we will have the BIG SIT option.
9. See instructions / FAQs (right-hand column) for complete details.
After you have completed the 6 hours please submit your list using the birdathon submission form, a registration form and a pledge form. All forms are available in the right-hand column. Include names, addresses, email addresses (optional) of the team members, and ages for youth, along with a check for a minimum of $35.00 for each team.
Mail team information and results to:
Ed Bolt, 233 Glenhaven NW, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49504
-- delivered or postmarked by June 15.
Birdathon prize categories are as follows:
- Rock Dove - Most species in 6 hours. (Use your favorite 6 hour data bracket)
- Wild Card - Most sightings of this year’s Target Bird - Ruby-throated Hummingbird
- Charity’s Rarities - Rarest bird spotted
- Fledgling - Youngest average age of a team
- Big Fun Funders - Most money raised by a team
- Big Fun Funder Individual - Most money raised by an individual
- Big Sit / Feeder - prize similar to ‘Rock Dove’ for number of species
- Big Sit / No Feeder - prize similar to ‘Rock Dove’ for number of species
Wall Plaques will be awarded after May 31, which winners may take home for 1 year.